As specialists in complex home modifications, we can help improve the safety, accessibility and comfort of your home.
The safety and accessibility of your home can have a big impact on your daily life, whether it’s completing everyday tasks, seeing family and friends or just relaxing.
For many people living with disability, home modifications can increase independence and accessibility, and help them make the most of their home.
What are home modifications?
Home modifications are changes to the structure, layout and/or fittings in a home to improve access and safety. Home modifications can help people with disability achieve more independence within their home environment.
Our Home Modification Services
Our experienced occupational therapists and project managers specialise in complex home modifications for people living with disability.
We can provide you with support and solutions for:
- Bathroom modifications: including level shower access, installation of accessible fittings, slip resistant flooring and redesign of bathroom layouts to accommodate the use of equipment.
- Access: including widening of doorways, creation of level living spaces, prescription of appropriate flooring options, landscaping and lifts.
- Environmental controls: including heating/cooling, lighting, automated doors, and relocation of electrical points and fittings to enable ease of use.
- Installations: including standard and customised ramps and rails, ceiling hoists and tracking, stair lifts and climbers.
- Kitchen modifications: including height adjustable surfaces that enable wheelchair access, installation of accessible fittings and redesign of kitchen layouts to increase independence.
The Assistive Technology and Home Modifications Team team can assess the accessibility of your home and provide support for modifications under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), WA NDIS and Community Aids and Equipment Program (CAEP) as well as other State Government funding schemes.
Our occupational therapists and project managers work closely with people with disability, their families and carers to determine what modifications are required based on your needs. The team is highly knowledgeable with regard to relevant legislation and disability specific standards for home modifications.
We will consult with you at every stage of the home modification process, including:
- Preparation of a scope of works
- Liaison with contractors
- Sourcing funding
- Inspection of works
We can also provide support for people who are building a new home (or an addition to their home) and want to make the home accessible for family members with a disability.
I have a disability. How can I get modifications in my home?
Provided that you have obtained the relevant funding (please speak to your therapy team or contact the Assistive Technology and Home Modifications Team about this), our team work with you, your family and carers to identify any barriers or hazards that are currently present in your home.
We then discuss your goals for your living space, and what sort of home modifications could help you achieve these.
Our Home Modifications Project Officer, Jenny Greensmith, has previously worked as an architect and brings a wealth of knowledge from the disability sector having worked as a Family Connect Worker at Therapy Focus for many years. Jenny can work with you and any builders or tradespeople to ensure your home modifications are exactly what you need.
For more information about how Therapy Focus can help with home modifications, click here.