As specialists in complex home modifications, we can help improve the safety, accessibility and comfort of your home.
Whether it’s completing everyday tasks, seeing family and friends or just relaxing, the accessibility of your home can have a big impact on your daily life. For many people living with disability, home modifications can increase independence and help them make the most of their home.
Our experienced Home Modifications Coordinators and Project Managers help people identify the barriers in their home which may be impacting their safety, independence and participation, and work closely with them to modify and improve their home environment.
What are home modifications?
Home modifications are changes to the structure, layout and/or fittings in a home to improve access and safety. This might include installing ramps or grab rails, redesigning the layout of rooms or changing fixtures and fittings. In some cases, it may be designing a new home that is accessible and suitable for a person’s long-term needs, even if their skills or abilities change over time.
For some people, home modifications are the difference between staying at home or moving into alternative housing. For children with disabilities, home modifications can reduce or eliminate the physical support their parents need to provide. This helps to prevent injury and ensure that children with disabilities can enjoy the same activities as their peers.
Our Home Modification Services
Our experienced occupational therapists, coordinators and project managers specialise in complex home modifications.
We can provide you with support and solutions for:
- Bathroom modifications: including level shower access, installation of accessible fittings, slip resistant flooring and redesign of bathroom layouts to accommodate the use of equipment.
- Access: including widening of doorways, creation of level living spaces, prescription of appropriate flooring options, landscaping and lifts.
- Environmental controls: including heating/cooling, lighting, automated doors, and relocation of electrical points and fittings to enable ease of use.
- Installations: including standard and customised ramps and rails, ceiling hoists and tracking, stair lifts and climbers.
- Kitchen modifications: including height adjustable surfaces that enable wheelchair access, installation of accessible fittings and redesign of kitchen layouts to increase independence.
As part of our service we assess the accessibility of your home and provide support for modifications under the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and Community Aids and Equipment Program (CAEP), as well as other State Government funding schemes.
Once you have secured funding for home modifications, we work with you, your family and/or carers to identify any barriers or hazards that are currently present in your home. Then we discuss your goals for your living space and the types of home modifications that can help you achieve these goals.
Our team is highly knowledgeable in relevant legislation and disability specific standards for home modifications. Our Project Manager has previously worked as an architect and brings a wealth of knowledge from the disability sector. The team are committed to working collaboratively with you and any builders or tradespeople to ensure home modifications meet your needs.
We will consult with you at every stage of the home modification process, including:
- Preparation of a scope of works
- Liaison with contractors
- Sourcing funding
- Inspection of works
We can also provide support for people who are building a new home (or an addition to their home) and want to make the home accessible for family members with a disability.