We provide effective communication systems and solutions for people with complex communication needs.
What is Alternative Augmentative Communication?
Communication is more than just the spoken word – particularly for children and adults with disability who have difficulties speaking.
Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) is a way of communicating that enhances or replaces speech. AAC systems can assist people who cannot speak to develop language skills and have a voice of their own. This can in turn help them participate in daily activities and achieve more independence.
People who can benefit from the use of AAC include those who:
- Have difficulties understanding language
- Have little or no verbal speech
- Have voice difficulties
- Have difficulty being understood due to motor or neurological difficulties
Our services for people with complex communication needs
At Therapy Focus, we have a number of therapists who are highly knowledgeable and experienced in AAC. These therapists provide advice and support to people with complex communication, their families and carers.
Our services are tailored to the unique needs of each individual and can include:
- Assessment of AAC needs
- Demonstration of different AAC options
- Recommendations for the hire and trial of AAC systems
- Set-up and programming of AAC devices and systems
- Goal setting and support for AAC trials
- Education and training in the use of AAC systems
- Support for long-term prescription of AAC systems
Our Communication Matters Clinic
Our purpose-built Communication Matters Clinic offers access to a range of communication devices and systems for people with disability. It supports people with complex communication needs to hire and trial items in order to complete funding applications for purchase.
The Clinic has a range of AAC systems available to trial, including high-tech systems like touch screen devices and low-tech systems like communication books. The Clinic team will discuss options and find a system that is best suited to you and your needs.