This article outlines the various options for post-school study as well as what supports may be available.

“What opportunities does my child with disability have to keep learning after high school?” This is a common question parents ask.

There are many ways that people with disabilities can continue to learn after high school, whether the goal is gaining life skills and/or finding employment. Your young adult may be able to go to university, TAFE or study online with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), which could lead to a certificate, diploma or degree of higher learning. There are also many holiday or short courses on offer.

Most providers of tertiary studies are very accommodating and willing to do what they can to help people with disabilities to complete the requirements of their course.

Each learning centre will have an Abilities Coordinator or Disability Support Officer available to provide information about:

  • Courses
  • Scholarships or grants
  • Campus tours with a focus on accessibility
  • Support services including advocacy, counselling, mentoring, AUSLAN interpreters or scribe
  • Study, exam and assignment techniques and workshops
  • Where to go for help
  • Options for support such as negotiating course loads, exam condition and liaising with teachers on the student’s behalf

Even if they are not able to finish their studies, having the opportunity to learn can still be helpful for personal growth and self-discovery.

For more information consider getting in touch with the following organisations:


Jobs and Skills Centre

A great starting point to find out more about pathways to different jobs or careers.

Phone: 13 64 64 or (08) 9224 6500


University of Western Australia (UWA) – UniAccess Student Disability Services

Phone: (08) 6488 2423


Edith Cowan University (ECU) – Student Equity, Diversity and Disability Service

Phone: (08) 9370 6960


Murdoch University – Student Disability Services

Phone: (08) 9360 6084

Email: [email protected]


University of Notre Dame – Access and Inclusion

Phone: (08) 9433 0995

[email protected]


Curtin University – Student Disability Services

Phone: (08) 9266 7850 or 1800 651 878

Email: [email protected]


South Metro TAFE – Student Disability Services

Phone: 1800 001 001

[email protected]


North Metro TAFE – Student Disability Services

Phone: 9427 1314

[email protected]


Each training provider is required to meet standards for disability access. Check with your prospective training provider to see what they are able to offer before enrolling in a course.

For more information about how Therapy Focus can support your transition to post-school training or work opportunities visit


Connect with us
You must be logged in to post a comment.

You may also like…

boy and continence clinician laughing in bathroom

Why is my child wetting the bed?

Bedwetting can cause stress in school-age children and their families, but it is actually quite common in younger children – with 1 in 5 wetting the bed. Therapy Focus Continence Clinician, Ann-Marie Kearney explains more about children and bedwetting.
Learn More
Woman teaching children to cook

Hayley helps out in the Kimberley

Earlier this year, Occupational Therapist, Hayley Smith travelled to the Kimberley region of Western Australia to co-facilitate a school holiday program in Mowanjum Aboriginal Community with The Boab Network.
Learn More