Understanding Specialised Disability Accomodation

By Tiffany Colbran

Team Leader; Mirrabooka

Traditionally, accommodation for people with disability who have high support needs and want to live as independently as possible has been limited to care facilities with strict procedures and a larger number of residents. Supported or Specialised Disability Accommodation (SDA) has become an increasingly popular option for independent but still supported, living.

What is SDA?

Supported Disability Accommodation is housing that has been specifically designed to meet the needs of people who have an extreme functional impairment or very high support needs. SDA has accessible features to help residents live more independently and allow supports to be delivered better or more safely.

SDA is designed to feel more home-like, with a smaller number of residents and the ability for those residents to contribute to the functioning of the household by cooking meals or completing daily chores. There are also options for people to live completely independently, instead of in a share house as well. SDA caters to individual needs and provides residents with as much independence as possible. It also provides social environments (like living rooms and alfresco areas), with the capacity for residents to make new friends and have family come to visit often.

The best part is residents can still access the support they need with things like:

  • hygiene and grooming
  • getting out of bed
  • taking medication
  • getting to work
  • emergency help

Who is SDA for?

For people with disability to be eligible for SDA housing, they must be:

  • an NDIS participant who has an extreme functional impairment or very high support needs
  • meet the specialist disability accommodation needs requirement and the NDIS funding criteria

How can I access SDA?

SDA is most commonly accessed by NDIS participants. After being made eligible, NDIS funding is used to pay the dwelling provider directly, and the participant supply’s an additional contribution towards rent and bills. For a person to use their NDIS funding for SDA, they will usually need to provide an Occupational Therapy Housing Assessment Report, conducted by a qualified occupational therapist.

Can Therapy Focus help me get an Occupational Therapy Housing Assessment Report?

At Therapy Focus our occupational therapists complete assessments for NDIS participants who want to access SDA funding. These therapists are highly knowledgeable and experienced in complex home modifications and can provide a detailed report that addresses the eligibility criteria for SDA funding.

During the assessment process, our occupational therapists work closely with support coordinators to ensure that the participant’s Housing Plan is complete and ready for submission to the NDIS.

The report will include the following:

  • Screening of existing documentation and assessment reports
  • Full functional assessment that evaluates a participant’s goals and how SDA funding can support these goals
  • Clinical interpretation of findings relating to the SDA eligibility criteria
  • Delivery of the report to the support coordinator for a Housing Plan to be developed

Access Supported Disability Accommodation assessments

For more information about our Supported Disability Accommodation assessment services, or to request a customised quote, contact our friendly team today.