Getting healthy and delicious snacks into your child’s lunchbox can be a challenge.
Therapy Focus Dietitian Maddie Todd has a great alternative to sugary snacks with her Fibre Energy Balls.
Check out the recipe –
*Please note this may not be appropriate for children who have texture modified dietary requirements.*
Fibre energy balls
- 70 g pumpkin seeds
- 20 g puffed brown rice or puffed quinoa
- 50 g whole almonds
- 80 g dates
- 1 cm piece of fresh turmeric or ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped teaspoon quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 orange
- Blitz 40g of the pumpkin seeds into a fine dust in a food processor, then decant onto a plate.
- Place the remaining pumpkin seeds and the puffed rice or quinoa in the processor with the almonds and dates (destone first), then blitz until finely chopped.
- Peel and finely grate in the turmeric, if using fresh, or add the ground turmeric, along with the cinnamon, cocoa powder and a pinch of sea salt.
- Blitz again until finely ground, then add the vanilla, honey and half the orange juice.
- Blitz for another 1 to 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides a couple of times, and adding an extra squeeze of orange juice to bind, only if needed – it takes a while for the mixture to come together, so be patient and let the processor work its magic.
- With wet hands, divide into 24 and roll into balls, dropping them into the pumpkin seed dust as you go.
- Shake to coat, storing them in the excess dust until needed. They’ll keep happily for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.